Friday, 13 March 2009

SOMEONE says:

A few days ago someone criticized me for reading "childish" books like the three I just displayed two posts previously. 
I think that reading is a person's personal choice and that there is no age restriction for it. As long as a person is not reading books that contain material meant for higher ages, he is at complete liberty to read any book he wants. And  Eoin Colfer's books are NOT shallow and childish. In fact they contain a lot of science. Especially the Artemis Fowl series. I have gained quite a bit of knowledge from Colfer's books. Maybe you think they are shallow because you do not understand them? Or maybe because of your prejudice against Science?
It is my personal opinion that Colfer's books are very interesting. And besides,  you have no right to be telling me what kind of books I read. You may like 'serious' books about politics and The Knights Templar but I don't. I am a man of science. And I don't limit myself against books below my age limit. I would read any of Enid Blyton's books if I had them. The notion that you should only read books of your own age is completely silly. 
You say that we should not be conformists, but it is you who is conforming now by reading 'mature' books that you say people of your age should read. Your peers may read such books. You look at them and think they look very 'serious' and 'mature' when they read "President Bush's Actions after 9/11" or "Post World war economy". Therefore you read the same kind of books to make yourself look mature. You are conforming with your peers. 
Anybody can read children's books. That does not make them any less mature. 
Post a Comment