Thursday, 9 September 2010

Why I am Incompatible with Violent Movies

No occasion is more unique and singular than discovering something about yourself that was previously unknown.

I have never been a fan of violent movies but I was always under the impression that I could watch one if I wanted. I have now discovered that this impression was nothing more than a delusion. I usually read some novel when I have my dinner. But a few nights ago I was unable to find anything good. I decided to watch television with the rest of my family for a while. They were watching a Tamil movie and I reveal for those who are unfamiliar that violence constitutes a substantial percentage of every Tamil movie's storyline. At the time the movie was going through a particularly violent phase. As I watched my heart rate started to go up. Within a minute my cardiac tissue was practically flinging itself violently at the inner side of my unfortunate thoracic cavity. With my heart rate rose a compulsion to avert my eyes. I was quite literally struggling with myself. It was as though a separate mind was in my brain trying to turn my head in the other direction. Eventually my compulsion won.

I was quite mystified. Why would a movie which is quite obviously a unrealistic portrayal of imaginary events provoke a reaction of such inflated magnitude? I decided to confirm that the reaction was indeed part of me and not due to the conditions of that evening alone. Perhaps, I reasoned, it was an occasion on which I was unusually susceptible to stimulus. For a cause to be assigned to an event I have to remove all the variables from the experiment to ensure that the cause which I wish to investigate is the only thing affecting the experiment. So, on a day on which I was sure I was completely clear minded I grabbed my opportunity during lunch when the final section of the movie "The Incredible Hulk" was showing. First I established my resting heart rate which turned out to be 62 beats per minute. I started watching this rather unsettling scuffle between two giant green monsters (That was perhaps the understatement of the year.). I got the same reaction. My heart rate actually went up to 130 beats per minute!!

I remember I wasn't always like this. There was a time when I was younger perhaps at the age of ten or eleven when I used to watch violent movies without flinching. That was before I fell in love with mathematics (when I was thirteen). Now at 16 years and 6 moths I think the years I spent looking at harmless equations (Some people call equations vicious! Imagine that!) has mellowed me. Perhaps that is the reason that over the years, I have developed a curious affinity for Walt Disney films or films very like it. I watch movies like "Bolt", "The Wild", "The Chronicles of Narnia", "The Incredibles", "Johnny English", "Mr. Bean" and "The Sorcerer's Apprentice". And, on giving the matter some thought I realized that I was really glad of this development. I may be called a weakling by some but I am extremely proud of the fact that I find violence even in imaginary situations quite repulsive and revolting. I feel happy when I realize that I have become a better person, a more complete person. I feel a sense of satisfaction when I know that I will always be an advocate for peace.

One thing's for sure. I'll never watch violent movies again.
Post a Comment