Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Revised Thoughts on the Kindle Touch

It took me about 3.5 hours today morning to read "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" on my Kindle Touch. It had about 2600 Kindle Locations. And the battery didn't drain beyond 75%. So my theory about the Kindle Touch battery drain having a linear relationship with the page flips may be wrong. There are a few possibilities.

  1. Somehow, reading half an hour a day for two months doesn't equal reading for 30 hours continuously. Somehow if you read continuously the battery drains slower than expected.
  2. My guesses were wrong. Amazon used a different average reading rate to calculate battery drainage.
  3. A software update I did recently on the Kindle Touch might have solved a software issue that was draining the battery.

I intend to experiment a bit more with the device to single out the most likely factor.

Also, there is a very faint crackling/buzzing noise coming from the bottom of the device which I can only hear if I put my ear very close to the device. I think it's most likely source is the speakers. Perhaps there is a software issue that sends a constant stream of noise to the speakers. Perhaps there is a software bug which makes the Kindle forget to turn its speakers off when they're not being used. But the strange thing is that the battery appears to last longer after the update and the sound coming from the speakers have not gone away after the updates. So maybe that isn't an issue. I'm not really sure. But I think it would be a good idea for amazon to write in some code to turn off the speakers when they're not being used (if it really is an issue with the speakers). 
Post a Comment