Monday, 31 December 2012

Holidays...

Another winter solstice has passed. I'm not sure why but I seem to have associated winter solstices with blogging. Perhaps it's because of my blogging spree that occurred during the Winter Solstice of 2009. I've written a Winter Solstice blogpost every year since. It seems to have become a habit. Can people form habits out of things they do only once a year? I don't really know.

The most exciting thing that happened this December is the release of Chapter 86 of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. I really like the way this piece of fanfiction is progressing. I love the way the story has been building up so far and my greatest fear is that Eliezer Yudkowsky might run out of ideas to continue the story. It would be such a huge disappointment if that happened. I wonder if there's anyone who knows the story well enough to continue the story and help it to reach an acceptable conclusion if that happens.

I recently installed this wonderful software called Rainmeter on my laptop. I just love the way my desktop looks now.


 Apart from being visually awesome the background triggered quite a lot of memories and moods in me. Some pictures tend to do that to me. They immediately manage to change my mood. When I close my eyes at random this picture jumps to the front of my mental television. I see myself falling endlessly towards the big white field of fluffy clouds, arms outstretched in the the wind, lightheaded. And for some strange reason it made some really old memories of me watching an anime series called Stratos4 resurface. I guess it's because that anime has similar dreamy scenes of blue skies.

I've become really interested in anime over the past year. I never considered myself a real anime fan before. I used to watch them occasionally but not that often. I discovered some really awesome anime series last year which convinced me that it's more than just cartoons. I understand why many ore offended when people call anime "just cartoons". It really is more than that. I've come to see it as an art form. The best one I've watched this year is definitely Steins;Gate. Death Note and Code Geass comes close but but Steins;Gate is a clear winner. I've never enjoyed watching anything more.
One movie deserves special mention: an animated film called 5cm per second. It's not from a genre I usually watch and the story was probably a bit cliched, but for some reason, I really enjoyed it. It's been a long time since I watched anything of the sort. The animation was absolutely gorgeous. I've seen the movie referred to as '5 wallpapers per second' in many anime forums.

The entire movie seems to be made up of amazing scenes like this. I wonder how long it took to render the entire movie.


My holidays are almost over and the next semester at college starts in a few days. I wonder if I'll be able to do better this time. Last semester was a big confusing mess. This time I'll be prepared ... I hope. There doesn't seem to be any subjects as tedious as Engineering Graphics this time but I won't know until the semester starts. 
Post a Comment