Saturday, 9 March 2013

Team Fortress 2 on Ubuntu!

Something happened a few months ago that got me really excited. Valve announced that they were releasing Steam for Linux.  At that point I had already installed Ubuntu on my laptop and the only reason I still used windows was that all my awesome games were in my Windows partition. But steam for Linux changed everything. So one of the first games to be ported to Linux was my favorite War Themed Hat Simulator (aka FPS ) Team Fortress 2. There were some initial problems though. It turned out that to actually get steam running on Linux I needed to install some new Nvidia drivers. But these drivers did not have support for laptops that had the Intel Optimus technology which turned off the graphics card when it was not being used to save power. In Ubuntu, the way to get around this is to use a software called Bumblebee which acts as a substitute for Optimus. The new Nvidia drivers didn't work with Bumblebee initially. So I had to wait.

Now I've finally managed to get everything to work together. TF2 finally works on Linux!!! Only my sleeping roommates prevented my from screaming "IT'S ALIVE!!!!" to the rest of the universe.



The game runs beautifully and I think it runs even smoother than it does on windows! It's amazing. The fps stats showed hardly any stutter at all! 

There are still a few problems that need to be resolved before I can run use Ubuntu as my main TF2 playing OS. The temperature is a lot higher in Ubuntu. It skyrockets to 75 degrees and stays there. Also, my hard drive seems to be heating up unnaturally when I play TF2. I think this might have something to do with that message on partition manager about my sectors being misaligned. Maybe that is causing the hard disk to work too hard to transfer the same amount of data. I'm not really sure how exactly to solve that issue. But I think it should be fine after a few more driver updates from Nvidia. 

And I also got this adorable in game item!!


Post a Comment