Friday 21 January 2011

An Unexpected Finish

A very unexpected finish to a chess game. I was really tired and playing a bit blindly, not thinking much more than a move ahead. I made a move only expecting to fork the opponent's king and rook but as it transpired that move checkmated my opponent. I checkmated my opponent without realizing it! Imagine that.

This was blitz chess, played in under 2 minutes with 12 extra seconds awarded to the player after each move. I'm playing as white of course.

As this is the first time I am embedding a chess game in my blog I will give some directions. Look underneath the chessboard. Click on the button with ">" in it to see the game move by move. You can also click on one of the moves in the list on the side to jump directly to that move.





Play online chess


PS: I'm not sure why the scroll bar of the move list suddenly decided it was more comfortable -> lying between my blogposts like some freakish cyber bridge. No amount of fiddling with the code could correct that issue...

4 comments:

Srikanth said...

I am starting to take an interest in chess.I have a question. Why did your opponent choose not to take your rook with this queen at move 14?

Ashwin Narayan said...

This was a 2 minute blitz chess game. With such time constraints one does not notice many things. For example, I could have checkmated him two moves before I actually did. Plating blitz chess is different from playing chess at a leisurely pace. There is lot more pattern recognition and instinct involved. Plus a bit of luck.

Srikanth said...

I see. I think formal logic, game theory and complexity pushed me chess and Go.

Ashwin Narayan said...

I'm interested in Go. Unfortuantely I have no one to play it with.